Representing Clients Nationwide
If you’re thinking of filing a Social Security Disability claim, but you aren’t sure where to start, a skilled Social Security Disability attorney can be your guide. For anyone seeking disability benefits through the Federal government, the experienced lawyers at Chávez Law Group can help you understand the differences between the five categories of benefits available.
Depending on your age, income, family member benefit status, work history, and other factors, you may qualify for one or more of the benefit programs available from the Social Security Administration (SSA). Following is a brief description of the types.
- Social Security Disability (SSD) — SSD is a benefit program accessible to American citizens who have been employed and paid employment taxes for at least five of the 10 years of work before suffering a disability. Benefit check amounts are calculated based on years of employment and income history.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) — SSI benefits may be available to persons who fall below the poverty income level and who are currently disabled. Individuals need not have a work history to be eligible for this program, although they must meet income and resource requirements.
- Disabled Widow/Widower Benefits (DWB) — American citizens who suffered a disabling condition within a certain time frame after the death of a spouse or an ex-spouse may qualify to receive these types of benefits. Recipients must be within the age range of 50 – 60 years of age.
- Disabled Adult Child Benefits / Childhood Disability Benefits (CDB) — Benefit payouts may be given to adult children who suffered a disabling condition before turning 22, and who have one parent who is receiving Social Security Disability benefits, Social Security Retirement benefits, or a deceased parent who was eligible for SSD and SSR before their death.
- Children’s Supplemental Security Income (CSSI) — Children under age 18 who meet the national disability requirements may be approved to receive CSSI benefits, assuming they meet certain financial requirements.
Filing for Benefits
Whether you know which type you’d like to apply for or you need help determining if you qualify for Social Security Disability benefits, the Social Security Disability lawyers at Chávez Law Group can provide valuable legal advice. Our guidance can be key in getting you through the administrative process successfully and getting your benefit checks started as soon as possible.
If you are disappointed to receive a benefit denial notice, we would be happy to help you tackle the disability appeals process. Please contact us today for a free evaluation of your disability situation.